Turn to an Attorney That You Can Trust Contact Us

Why Slip-And-Falls Can Be Especially Dangerous for Older Adults

On behalf of Law Office of Jason Skala, LLC Dec. 19, 2018

Most of us know that as we get older, our bodies become less resilient. Our bones become more brittle. If we slip in the tub, we’re more likely to bruise and break a bone than we would have when we were younger.

However, aging also has an impact on the anatomy of our brains–which also increases our chances of serious injury in the event of a tumble. In today’s article, we discuss how slip and falls frequently lead to traumatic brain injury in older adults.

How Our Brains Age

As we age, our bodies begin to shrink. And this trend applies to our brains as well. A smaller brain means there is more space between our brain and our skull. The strands that connect our brain to our skull–known as bridging veins–also become thinner.

This effect doesn’t make us less intelligent–but it does make our brains more delicate. In the event of trauma to the head, the brain and bridging veins of an older adult can be damaged more easily.

A recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found falls to be the number one cause of traumatic brain injury in the U.S.–with the highest percentage of such injuries occurring in individuals 75 and older. Falls–and resulting brain injury–also represented the leading cause of death for individuals 65 and older.

Seeking Justice

If you or a loved one is injured in a fall due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve compensation for the full breadth of damages suffered. It’s important to know how to identify signs of traumatic brain injury early on. Symptoms may include:

  • Photosensitivity

  • Nausea

  • Headache

  • Sudden memory loss–or worsening memory loss

  • Confusion

  • Incontinence

  • Balance problems

If you notice any such symptoms, have a complete medical evaluation right away. If you have a subdural hematoma or other bleeding in your brain, you need to get treatment as soon as possible. Then, consult with your lawyer to seek compensation for your suffering.