A motor vehicle accident is jarring, often happening in a matter of seconds. You will be especially shaken if the accident was serious, resulting in injuries. It is beneficial to know what information to gather at an accident scene before one ever happens. Before seeking out the other driver's information, you should take immediate steps to stay safe:
- Move to a safe location, as long as you are not putting yourself at risk for further injury.
- Tend to your injuries or injuries to the other driver.
- Call the police.
Write everything down
- Write down the names of all people involved in the accident, including passengers.
- Get car insurance information from the other driver. If the other driver does not give you insurance information, then ask for their phone number.
- Ask any witnesses for contact information. A witness will be beneficial to back up your claim if the other driver denies fault.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, including damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle. Take photos of the other driver's license plate, debris and the street signs near the accident to identify location. Take pictures of anything that contributed to the accident, such as a broken stop light or obscured stop sign.
- Write down details of the accident while they are fresh in your mind. The insurance company will ask for your recollection of the accident, so it can be helpful to record traffic conditions, the time of the crash, damage descriptions and any other important details.
Always remember that your safety comes first. Stay away from a hazardous crash scene, especially if you are stuck in the middle of a busy road. Gather information later if you are badly injured. It is recommended that you visit the hospital after an accident, no matter if you feel pain or not.
Brain injuries and whiplash can develop over time, becoming more painful hours or even days later. A doctor should examine you for head and neck injuries. Ignoring a serious injury can be dangerous and even deadly. Your safety is paramount after a crash.